Sustainability is an increasingly important issue in today’s construction projects, whether the focus is on the ‘triple bottom line’ (environmental, social and economic issues) or simply environmental protection. Clients want greater clarity about environmental credentials. They expect supply chains to use responsible sourcing standards. They want to know how to achieve ‘zero carbon’ buildings.
As a leading company in the design, manufacture and supply of architectural precast cladding to the Irish and UK construction markets, Techrete promotes sustainability both in the design and function of products and in the processes used in our manufacture.
Our environmental and energy management system supports this policy and provides the framework for setting and reviewing objectives and targets. Our commitment to sustainability is driven from the top down. It is set out by the Managing Director in our Environmental, Health and Safety, Energy Management and Quality Policy Statements.
Techrete has invested heavily in energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable processes, equipment, workshops, office facilities and management systems.
Techrete is ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 50001 certified and Achilles accredited. It is also BES 6001 (Responsible Sourcing of Construction Products) certified, with a ‘Very Good’ rating. We are also signatories of the British Precast Concrete Federation Sustainability Charter.
All Techrete panels carry the CE Mark. This shows that the products meet a set of basic European harmonized standards, or a European Technical Assessment.
Why precast is a sustainable choice
At Techrete, we see our involvement in architectural cladding as an opportunity to provide creative solutions for and to add aesthetically to the built environment, without in any way jeopardizing the broader environment.
The inherent properties of precast concrete make it a natural choice for achieving sustainability in modern buildings. For example, precast concrete cladding:
- Is locally manufactured, using local products, and thus minimizes transport costs
- Involves minimal waste, and most manufacturing waste is recycled
- Enables rapid construction, with fewer trades on site and thus less waste
- Has high thermal mass, which enables components to absorb, store and radiate heat
- Is durable, reusable and low-maintenance
New levels of sustainable performance
We promote sustainability both in the design and function of our products and in the processes used in their manufacture. We seek to achieve new levels of sustainable performance in our highly cost-effective precast building systems, including durability, thermal mass and insulation values, while our architectural panels enable greater construction efficiency. In all, our sustainable building products reduce energy consumption and reduce the user’s carbon footprint.
Use of precast concrete cladding in a building contributes to its thermal mass; this helps to even out daily and seasonal temperature swings, and reduce the need for air conditioning. This saves both energy and money in the long term.
Techrete’s sustainability policy
Our approach is to:
- Keep fully informed of all relevant legislation, standards and best practices within the industry and monitor our operations to ensure compliance
- Meet all regulatory and consent requirements pertaining to our business
- Work with subcontractors, suppliers and clients to encourage environmental awareness and sustainability and to identify and to share best practice and ways of reducing negative environmental impacts
- Manage our buildings and construction sites in an environmentally sensitive manner
- Reduce and strive to eliminate hazardous and nuisance releases to air, water and landfill, including CO2 emissions
- Re-use, recycle and recover resources in all company activities
- Operate a careful buying policy, giving preference to materials from sustainable sources and services which are less damaging to the environment
Our Environmental Management System, which is ISO 14001 accredited, supports this policy and provides the framework for setting and reviewing objectives and targets.
If you have any questions about sustainability issues, please get in touch.